The Fort of Ammargarh, located in a region known as Moth was once the stronghold of the powerful Naga Sanyasis who dominated North India in the late 18th and early 19th century, sits just 48 km north of Jhansi.
In the 8th century, Adi Shankaracharya set up numerous monastic orders of monks, among which was the Dasnami Naga Sampradaya. During the 18th century, these monastic orders had become extremely powerful, establishing semi- ndependent principalities. Known to be fierce warriors, the rulers of kingdoms such as Jaipur, Jodhpur, Awadh, Bharatpur and even the Marathas used to patronise them in exchange for their support.
Among the most powerful of the Naga Sanyasi Mahants or Chiefs was Raja Rajendra Giri Gossain. Taking advantage of the decline of the Mughal Empire, he supported the Marathas and their Subedar of Jhansi, Naro Shankar Motiwale (1730 – 50 CE). In 1745, Rajendra Giri also seized the Pargana of Moth and got possession of 114 villages there. But this brought him in conflict with the Marathas.
After Rajendra Giri, his successors Anup Giri, Umrao Giri & Anand Giri were involved in a series of conflicts with
Mahadji Scindia. Along with his allies the Rajas of Samthar, Mahadji Scindia ousted the Mahants from Moth and captured Ammargarh. The fort and the surrounding pargana were granted to the Samthar Rajas, and it remained a part of Samthar state till 1947.
Today, the fort consists of large walls and a palace of the Samthar Rajas. A shrine inside the Ammargarh Fort, dedicated to the Naga Sanyasi Mahants, is the only reminder of the time when powerful warrior sages held sway here.
Distance from Shatam Jeeva